Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 105

Thread: Are there any dolls you DON'T like?

  1. #91
    Inactive Member anniebeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2006
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love every single one of them! Even the dolls I used to not like as well as others I have come to love! How crazy is that?
    I would have to say Elizabeth is last on my list, mainly because of her meet dress. The color is just so unrealistic for the time period. But I adore her hair and her earings! So I'm sure I will eventually get her.
    ~Annie

  2. #92
    Inactive Member wiccacat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 1st, 2006
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I love Kaya. She's my favorite AG. Of course i never claimed to be in my right mind. Actually i love the fact that AG did some research and discovered that showing teeth in a smile would have indicated aggression, not friendship. And i love all of her stuff, especially the horses.

  3. #93
    monimarine
    Guest monimarine's Avatar

    Post

    I have to disagree with the comment about kids not comprehending or can't grasp the concept of a loved one not coming back or being in a dangerous situation. Not all children learn the same or are exposed to this type of situation. My 19 yr old cousin was killed in Iraq-my 8 yr old daughter knew full well where he was and what he was doing. She saw him in uniform in his casket and witnessed his military funeral. She knew exactly what the possibility was when my bf and friends left last July for Iraq too. Kids that are in a certain environment can pick up on it more than you may think. To assume that military children don't understand what is going on, is pretty much not giving credit to parents that prepare them for deployment. In this environment, the schools and family service centers on bases and air stations have classes/support groups to help kids understand, learn and cope. They aren't just "blissfully unaware" through out a 7-8 month or year long deployment. Today's kids Molly's age have real fears about their parents not returning back from the Middle East.

    It was hard for me not to worry about the safety of friends and loved ones, but I could not sit around all day every day for 8 months and just worry. I would have driven myself crazy. It doesn't mean I love them any less because I chose to leave the house and go to the mall or go to the movies.

  4. #94
    MapleLeaf
    Guest MapleLeaf's Avatar

    Post

    posted by MaryCarly March 27, 2006 02:39 PM:
    It was an all day event with newsreels, cartoons, and two movies. She met all of her friends there evey Saturday and they dreamed. They didn't have AG dolls to play with, so they cut "dolls" out of catalogs and of course they pretended to be their favorite star. Movies were very important back then, especially to the children.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I very much agree with you Mary. My mother was 10 years old and living in Athens when the Germans were occupying Greece. Movies were an escape and one of the few pleasures available.

    My mother also saw the tragic side of the war around her. Very terrible things which I won't go into.

    Nia

  5. #95
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    monimarine, I'm sorry my comments were insulting to your family; that was not at all my intention. I'm also sorry that you lost a family member. My dad was also in the military, so I definitely did not mean to hurt you.

    Psychologists claim that children can't fully grasp the concept of death (because children's brains are still developing) until around age 12+. This doesn't mean parents haven't done a good job raising their kids. [img]smile.gif[/img] It's just the way we develop. I had two family members pass away before I reached that age, and personally didn't understand what was going on. Again, it doesn't mean you aren't a great mom, because it really sounds like you definitely are! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] And also, again I am sorry if what I posted was hurtful.
    ---
    On the topic of movies/entertainment, as others have mentioned, movies were a HUGE piece of escape, as was the radio, for people living during WWII. I enjoy listening to old-time radio from the WWII era. It's interesting to see how patriotism was combined with entertainment during the era! [img]smile.gif[/img] You might also want to rent movies from the era to see how the two were mixed. People actually felt patriotic when they went to the movies!

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ March 27, 2006 05:20 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

  6. #96
    I*love*dolls
    Guest I*love*dolls's Avatar

    Post

    Right now the only doll I don't like is Marisol (I think I am the first one to say this!) because her clothes and cell phone make her look sort of....how should I put this....somewhat soiled and like she is trying to grow up too fast and the clothes....just seem like something I wouldn't want girls to wear.....

    I'm glad we can all discuss this without throwing virtual fireballs at each other. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    But I am a little disapointed about how everyone doesn't like Elizabeth....I love how her hair is light blonde and falls into soft curls and is extremely long and how her face is elegant and long and you can ake off her gorgeous earings and how her dress is a beautiful pink with a touch of orange in the center and her little shoes and stokcings....I just think there is nothing I could say badly about her. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  7. #97
    I*love*dolls
    Guest I*love*dolls's Avatar

    Post

    I mean that marisol was spoiled not soiled! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  8. #98
    Janie3082
    Guest Janie3082's Avatar

    Post

    While I may not like all the items in every girl's collection, I think all the dolls are beautiful in their own way. I do plan to get all the books because I love the stories, but I don't have the desire or the money to have every doll.

    Since Kirsten and Felicity are my two most favorite girls, I've decided to complete their collections as best I can-with or without certain retired items. I love my Rory too, but other than getting Elizabeth later I think my number of dolls is complete.

    There's not really any doll that I think is ugly, or that I don't like. I just like some more than others. They are the ones that live here with me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

  9. #99
    GreyMyst
    Guest GreyMyst's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by I*love*dolls:
    I mean that marisol was spoiled not soiled! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm I don't think she's spoiled at all. Lots of kids have cell phones and iPods and stuff. I bought my 11 year old cousin a prepaid cell phone for Christmas. It was only like 25 bucks and she does need it to call her mom's cell if she will be late from school or whatever.

    Marisol's clothes cover her completly. They really don't show much skin at all. I think trendy clothes that still cover kids up are great. Most real 10 year olds I know are trying to wear miniskirts, clingy sheer low cut tshirts, and high heels. I'd MUCH rather see something like Marisol's outfit than that.

  10. #100
    monimarine
    Guest monimarine's Avatar

    Post

    Melissa, I wasn't offended- just meant to point out an exception to the rule! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •